Sunday, September 17, 2017

Tales of the Train--When Your Companion Makes It and You Don't

Hi guys!  I have a story to tell you!  (As always, but ya know, that's okay.)

This week is a story about obeying the rules of the mission.  Strictly.  haha :)

This Tuesday, we had our normal District Meeting, and then following that we had our interviews with President Fife. So Sister Orro and I planned ahead, packed lunch and our studies, and planned to go straight from our chapel where District Meeting was held to the Chapel where our interviews were going to be.  We would then use the extra time that we had to eat lunch and to study.  District Meeting was awesome!  We had tons to talk about in the training, we had a lovely little role play that Sister Orro read, and the spirit was super strong.  (Side note- for all those who are musical, Sister O sang soprano, I sang alto, Elder Dearden sang bass, and the rest of the elders sang tenor, it was amazing!) 

So District Meeting ends, and knowing that we have plenty of time between it and the interviews, we're walking relaxed and just enjoying the nice warm weather.  We catch the bus to the train station, and have just tapped our travel cards when Sister Orro points to the platform we need and yells "Train!" I'm still rather relaxed from the meeting, and look to where she's pointing, noticing that the train had just pulled in and was about to leave again.  My thoughts were "Oh man, we're gonna miss it. Oh well, we'll just have to wait until the next one comes."  I look back to where Sister Orro was to continue talking to her, only to realize that she's not where I anticipated her to be.  After yelling, she had started to run to catch the train, and I didn't notice! haha :)  I start chasing her across the platform, down the escalator and back across to the train.  She makes it on while the doors are open, and I arrived just in time for the doors to close... Without me on the train.  Both of us start pressing the buttons to make the doors open, but they don't, and the train pulls out of the station.  Both of us just shrug our shoulders and wave as the other one goes out of sight. 

Now, one of the biggest rules in the mission is to keep your companion in sight and sound.  By this time both had been broken, and I was freaking out!  I step away from the departing train, and go to wait for the next one.  As I'm walking over to a bench, a worker notices me and my badge and asks: "You're a missionary.  Where's your companion?"  After explaining to him that she was on the train that just left, he says "Well, have fun figuring that out," and walks away. :)  I sit down, just praying for two things to happen: 1) that I could find someone to pretend to be my companion for the next 15 minutes while waiting for the train, and 2) that Sister Orro would get off at the next train station so that I could find her when the train does come.  Both were answered, and this lady sits down next to me.  I start talking to her, and after two questions she starts telling me her whole life story. 

As I'm talking to her, I look up to where the busses drop off, and see Elders Dearden and Soko looking for me at the top of the escalators.  I wave at them, and they come and wait out the remaining time with me.  Sister Orro had called them in the same panic I was going through and told them to go find me. So when they found me, they gave me the phone so that I would be able to talk to her. :)  The next train came and we met up at the next station in a huge happy reunion.  We linked arms and travelled the rest of the way to the interviews like that.  The strangest thing about all this is that we're both really good at traveling alone when we aren't missionaries, but when we have our tags on, it becomes frightening when we are alone.  Plus, our badges turned ice cold and weightless until we were reunited.  It was truly terrifying how the power of our calls went away.  So, to those who are on missions, or anticipate going on one: don't lose your companion. 

Aussie terms: Garbo (garbage man and garbage truck), and arvo (afternoon.) 

Scripture for the week: Alma 24:14:And the great God has had mercy on us, and made these things known unto us that we might not perish; yea, and he has made these things known unto us beforehand, because he loveth our souls as well as he loveth our children; therefore, in his mercy he doth visit us by his angels, that the plan of salvation might be made known unto us as well as unto future generations.

 I love this whole verse, but I'm going to break it into two parts.  1) He loves us, and has mercy on us, so He warns us of things to come.  We still have our agency to heed those warnings, but wow, He gives us plenty of warning of days to come.  2) He loves our souls just as much as little children.  We are His Jewels, we are His treasures.  Little children gain so much favour in His sight
, and He loves our souls just as much as them.  We have to work for it, because we are accountable, but we can do it.  :)  I love you all, and Heavenly Father loves you more.  See your divine nature, reach out and take it. 

Have a great week!

Sister Orro's version of the story...

Just thought you would want Sister Orro's side of the story too. :)

Note: The no. 1 rule of missionaries is always be within sight and sound of each other... never be alone except in the bathroom or interviews with the mission president.

We catch public transport when we travel to our meetings on a Tuesday morning just for fun and to meet people as we go. And this last Tuesday we were traveling on our way after the meeting to have interviews with the mission president. We had given ourselves a bit of buffer time and get off the bus and tag on to the trains. As we are walking I look down and see that the train is in at the platform and the light is flashing meaning it is departing any second. So I point at it and thinking I said "RUN!!" accidently said "TRAIN"... So I start running down the escalator and am making very good time. Actually pretty proud of my running in a skirt thing that I had going on there. So I get to the bottom run onto the train just in time to turn around and see the doors close and Sister Talbot on the other side... She did not make it on the train... so I am madly pressing buttons and it didn't work. The train takes off and we sort of throw our hands in the air and wave goodbye to each other.
I immediately called the Elders and told them they have to get to Sister Talbot sort of thing and they were so reliable. The most reliable young men I have ever worked with. They said "we got you" and hung up the phone. So I get off at the next station and sit down and just wait. Finally the Elders text and say they are at the station so I call them and who should speak on the other end but Sister Talbot. I just about died of happiness and relief. The funny thing is that we are both very capable human beings who can catch public transport by ourselves but in that moment we were both terrified. We are very capable people but we really panicked. We crack up laughing whenever we tell this tory and the first person we told when we made it on time and together was the mission president's wife and she just laughed at us in hysterics the whole time.
But the good news is that we have successfully caught the train... together...  and not lost each other since.  I would say we are doing well! Yay for public transport and events that bring you closer together as friends and also make you really paranoid about the fact that at any moment circumstances outside of your control can cause some issues...

Also you will notice that yes in the photos this week I do have a very long gash up my forehead it was an accident and yet another story for another day. Maybe never...

The comedy of errors strike again. A member we are working with called us that I think the second week we were together. We truly are embracing it. Also embracing the concept of being a little bolder (boulder) in life. Lovingly bold my friends.

​H​
ave a great week and always make sure you have your exit buddy!!

Sister Hollee Talbot

Pcitures: A Sabbath day selfie, heart attacking our ward mission leader, and us cleaning out all the plastic bags we have.  :)

Sabbath day selfie
"Heart Attacking" the ward mission leader

Sister Orro and Sister Talbot cleaning out all the plastic bags from their flat.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Sister Hollee Talbot Is Home! Airport Photos!